18 December 2010

Walking the talk, with a limp

Quite simple to create the previous post when things in my life were going pretty well. It was good that I reminded myself of how I really feel about the ups and downs of life before today's challenges happened. Here I sit with a bag of frozen peas on my possibly stress fractured foot, while imploring puppy dog eyes wonder why I'm ignoring the fact that her dinnertime has long since passed, and car upholstery and rugs await some serious cleaning because said dog (who I still love dearly) barfed in it three times today. Let me just add my own digestive disturbances to the list while I'm at it, though I'll leave it at that.

In the spirit of the previous post, I acknowledge the delightful experiences interspersed throughout my day. This morning's run - People running with their dogs (Gracie has earned a pass for runs longer than 6 miles, so she wasn't along today), losing the map but not getting lost, seeing ripe persimmons hanging from a tree in someone's yard, fall color - red leaves! on trees, the company and support of my running buddies. A sense of peace that even if I have a stress fracture, I have options regarding the marathon. Allowing myself to feel the anger and frustration about the injury (as yet, not officially diagnosed) all the same. Picking out birthday presents for friends. Singing Happy Birthday to my three-year old great niece. Getting to know a couple of people better. Beginning to detect a possible sense of direction and purpose for the next several years of my life. A nap with the pup before she got sick. Gluten free chocolate torte and a fire in the wood stove. My life may have it's challenges, but I have plenty to appreciate and be grateful for.


No comments: