26 December 2010

high tolerance for monotony

Or, an unexpected benefit from months in the long green tunnel

Had my first water running session this afternoon, and it wasn't the borefest I anticipated. Granted, 100 minutes in the pool is a long time, but I could tell my hip flexors were getting a good workout. Hopefully I was getting some cardio benefit, too. I barely broke a sweat, but the ambient temperature was quite chilly. When I got out of the water, my legs felt lighter, like I'd just removed ankle weights I'd been wearing.

At Stacy pool (outdoor, heated, partially spring fed, seemed like a good choice for the first water running session) water running consists of untold (unknown) numbers of short laps in the section of the pool that's over 5 feet deep. I'd guess 10-15 yards long? The only people at the pool longer than me were the lifeguards. So, how did I manage to not poke my eyes out from boredom doing the same thing for over an hour and a half?

Since this was my first attempt at water running, I spent a lot of time evaluating and adjusting my form, position in the water, and effort level. I also tried
different techniques and cadences, trying to figure out what was appropriate for today's long run simulation. I also avoided looking at the watch as long as possible. Sometimes I would look down and be surprised that almost 20 minutes had passed. Sometimes I looked down and couldn't believe less than 2 minutes had elapsed. Other than thinking about what I'm doing, or zoning out between glances at my watch, I mostly notice what's going on around me.

A guy was sitting on the lawn next to the pool working on a large Ojo de Dios
. He started it when he got to the pool, and made a lot of progress. At first I thought he was lashing sticks together to build a kite, then I saw the ojo begin to take shape. I recognized the art form, having made several small God's eyes with yarn and popsicle sticks as a child, but I couldn't remember what they were called. I asked him about it before he left, and got to tell him how much I enjoyed seeing it take shape.

Watching people execute a really good dolphin kick fills me with amazement. One particularly effortless-looking swimmer did several lengths of a drill where he would stroke, then follow with a dolphin kick, always stroking just with the right arm. He moved through the water more like a fish than a human.

That homeless-looking guy has picked a great spot
(poolside) to settle in for a late afternoon nap in the sun; the sun feels good on my face; probably should have worn sunscreen, wonder if I'll get burned - isn't the sun closer to the earth in winter, even though it's colder? Someone must have walked too close to the car, I hear Gracie barking; what kind of trees are these by the pool? Oak? can't really tell without my glasses or any remembrance of how to ID an oak tree. Whose afternoon is less boring? mine or the lifeguard's?; I keep pulling to the left/rotating a little to the right - my effort must be uneven; 20 minutes in, I only need to do the same thing 4 more times.

Falling asleep as I write this - must've been a good workout.



No comments: