What's the point of having answers to the questions my coach posed? Because when I get to the point in the marathon where the miles start with 2, I will likely need something to draw on besides the physical training. I know how quickly and easily negative self-talk can surface, and how compelling it can be. Having a clear sense of purpose and personal meaning attached to the effort I'm expending is one of the best ways I can prepare for the inevitable self-attack. In the middle and late stages of a marathon, it's just not practical to phone a friend, as useful as that can be at other times. I need quick access to the part of me that can shout "f*-off!" to the negativity. I'm too busy running a race to give airtime to internal, self-generated discouragement.
Another thing to consider is the possibility that I'll want to quit, or slow down. Honestly, no one but me really cares about my finish time. Like thousands of others, I have no chance of "winning" or even placing in my age group, so what does it matter if I back off a little? Isn't it enough just to finish? For some people, perhaps. For me, it's about doing the best I'm capable of, and learning what that looks like for a marathon distance. To the consternation of many (several?) people, this kind of drive and determination is primarily focused on my athletic endeavors and does not spill over into other parts of my life where it could be quite useful. There are aspects of my life where I am quite lazy and undisciplined. I just write about the good stuff.
10 December 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad you wrote these two posts. I'm pretty sure the only way I'm going to get coaching for the mental part of the game is if you pass along your coach's insight.
I care about your finish time. Part of a successful day for me would include success for you, and if I go over my goal time, it would be a huge consolation to know that you met yours.
Post a Comment