19 December 2010

2010 in review - books

Off the top of my head, here are the books I remember reading in 2010. Tacking on the last couple months of 2009 just because.
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
I only allowed myself to watch the Bourne movies after reading the books. The films were disappointing in comparison. Ludlum created some really empowered women characters for the books, who were practically invisible in the movies. Also the intricate plots and inventive backstories were watered down or competely (and less interestingly) changed for the films.
snippets of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. I will nibble my way through this one eventually.
First 13 chapters of The Devil Wore Prada. The movie was more fun. Never really felt the need to finish the book.
Checked and rechecked and checked again Joseph Campbell's The Mythic Image, but never really got into it. Not the right time, I suppose.
snippets of Pia Mellody's Facing Love Addiction and Facing Codependence - have read both of these previously, so just revisiting.
The complete works of Geneen Roth. I started with Women, Food, and God, on recommendation from my therapist, then went back to her first book and worked my way through. Fascinating and helpful stuff. The right books at the right time. If you struggle with your relationship with food or you relationship with self, I highly recommend checking out her work.
Whistle While You Work - a good little book on hearing and heeding your life's calling, another recommendation from my therapist
Broken Open, How Difficult Times Help us Grow - recommended by a friend. Great book, but not a lot of new information or insight for me. A good reminder that "there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere!"
The Great Gatsby - recommended by one of the book's biggest fans. I was not overwhelmed by it. Neither of us can quite get what the other sees/doesn't see in the book.
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - again, book (actually a short story) was better than the movie
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior
The Four Agreements and Mastery of Love (via audioCDs on New Mexico road trip) - good, but somewhat redundant
Running across Countries - fascinating account of running across France, Germany, and Europe

Planning to finish before year's end: Your Power to Create and Farm City (both audioCD)
I probably left something off the list, but trust the books won't be offended by my poor memory.




No comments: