This holiday, I chose to do something different for Christmas. Being single, I don't have a ready excuse to not spend the holiday with my family. I love my family, but sometimes I prefer to create my own Christmas celebration. They (and I'm purely making this up based on my perceptions, which could be totally out of line) are pretty invested in doing the same thing every holiday season. I like variety and I'm very much in the process (does this process every really end? answer: no, the subject of the process just changes) of figuring out how I like to do holidays on my own. This year I chose to visit the fam for turkey day, and stay at home for Christmas.
It was challenging to share this decision with my mother, but it appears that we have all survived and I dare say I have had a satisfying holiday. Earlier this week I went into near panic mode because I hadn't made any social plans for Christmas. It was one thing to not spend Christmas with my family, but I did not want to spend Christmas alone. I planned to invite friends over to hang out at the house for the afternoon, but there was the usual bit of inertia/anxiety to overcome before I could get my idea from thought to Evite action. By mid-week, I'd put out the invitation, and invited a dear friend to join me for Christmas Eve service.
The service was great, lots of Christmas Carols (Why are most of the greatest hits hymns Christmas Carols? Why am I asking? They're great to sing, in a joyful, heart-opening, grounding sort of way. That's enough.) and it was really cool to look around and just take in the experience of being in the new worship space with the community. The space is not finished, but for me, that makes it more special/memorable - the fact that we're willing and able to create sacred space anywhere we choose. This morning I puttered around the house preparing for guests and gradually cranking the volume higher and higher on the Glee Christmas album. Favorite song to harmonize with: O Holy Night. A fun assortment of friends came over to hang out while (gluten free) cookies were no-baked and baked, bunnies were held, cider was mulled, mimosas were mimosad, wood stove was fired up, dogs were hounded, avocados were guacamoled, and chips were salsad. [shout out to Don for the inspiration] Also, there was a cheese ball.
Later in the evening, family phone calls were made and blog post done. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
25 December 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment