[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]
25 April 2009 - Day 11, Mile 107.7 - Rock Gap Shelter -> Winding Stair Gap/Franklin, NC (written 4/26 when back on the trail)
Up early and out on the trail @ 7:35am. Took a 1 mile side trail to see Wasilisk Poplar. I keep wanting to call it Basilisk Poplar. Probably the biggest tree I've seen so far in my life. Gracie & I were dwarfed by it. Nice Trail Magic at the Gap - sodas, snacks and dog treats for Ms. Gracie, plus a lift into Franklin and Gracie's first ride in the back of a pickup (I rode with her, for safety). Enjoyed the Franklin Motor Inn, 1960s style motor court. Only thing it didn't have was a tub - I was really hoping for a good epsom salt soak.
Blog entry written while in Franklin, NC
No comments:
Post a Comment