16 April 2010

Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (4/16/09)

[Exactly a year ago, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]

16 April 2009 - Day 2 - Stover Creek Shelter -> Gooch Mtn Shelter
AM stretching did not happen. Lights out at 7:30pm, as soon as the sun went below the trees. Stayed in bed until 7ish, last to leave the shelter at 9:30am. Still made my goal for the day. George (Springer Mtn ridgerunner) & shortcut stopped at Stover Creek as I was packing up. George is 77, has been living on the mountain for two months, and plans to hike the Colorado Long Trail when his ridgerunner tour is up. Awesome.

More signs of spring at lower elevations today; got some photos of budding plants that look primordial. Anyone worried about me losing weight on this trip can stop now. The meals are huge! Met lots of other hikers today. Probably 10-15 of us at the shelter. I pitched the tarp pretty well. First night in the tarp on the trail. Shelter sleepers Snore!

Visited with Crawl at Hawk Mtn. shelter at lunch. He's having a zero day while he waits for his knees to recover. Former truck driver hoping to lose 70# over the course of his thru. We talked about food! I feel pretty good about my nutrition plan. Met some fellow Texas boys including Matthew from Austin, who knows Carson and had seen one of my supply boxes. Small world. I leapfrogged three of the guys from last night's shelter, and no sign of the Rifleman. Gracie seems more tired today. Got up in the 70s today - perfect hiking weather. Got to camp, pitched the tarp & cleaned up a bit and feel better. Possible blister developing on my inside right heel.

Highlights: Long Creek Falls, tenting out, budding plants

Food: B - gluten-free hot cereal with nutritional yeast & dehydrated corn
L/snacks - instant hummus with sundried tomatoes & olive oil, trail mix, Clif Builder Bar smeared with peanut butter
D - red rice noodles with greens, cabbage, carrots, TVP, & vegetarian bouillion (thanks, Ken!)

No comments: