[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]
27 April 2009 - Day 13, Mile 129.3 - Bartram Trail Intersection -> Wesser Bald Shelter
Remembered a dream I had at Rock Gap Shelter a few nights ago - Gracie & I peeked out of the shelter in the middle of the night and there were about 15 pairs of eyes in a line watching us. They were mostly small, like raccoon eyes, but there was one big animal's eyes, which I thought was a bear. The eyes were all glowing blue in the light of my headlamp. Gracie saw them and pulled on the leash and went into alert mode. I calmly pulled her back to the shelter and we went back to sleep.
Great views from Wayah Bald lookout this morning as we stopped in there for breakfast. It was really windy and I tried to cook breakfast in the lookout. It was a challenge with the wind and the bugs flying about. I could see a fire burning in the distance, controlled burn? NOC tomorrow. Hope my package has arrived, if not, I guess I'll stay on a day & hang out, check up on email and stuff.
Long day today. Made better time when I took Gracie's pack. Maybe I should just plan to carry all her stuff in the future. I may try that from NOC to Fontana Dam to see if the cumulative effort still tires her out.
Caught up to Geoff, Pittsburgh, and NH Mike today, and glad to be sharing the shelter with them. We're planning to have cheeseburgers at the NOC tomorrow. NH Mike saw two bears today and was about an hour ahead of me on the trail. Raspberry & Raindancer must have gone on to the NOC. I forgot to get a check for Lida (Gracie's boarder for the Smokies) from the bounce box in Franklin. Will have to get cash from an ATM I guess. Warmer tonight, that's nice. I'm happier with my improved hygiene and still have lots of food. Will have Lida hold my Fontana package until I leave the Smokies, I think.
27 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment