[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]
26 April 2009 - Day 12, Mile 115.8 - Winding Stair Gap/Franklin, NC -> Bartram Trail Intersection
The trees are blaze/burnt orange outside my tent from the sundown light. Getting town chores done was hectic, but I got everything done and caught up a little on internet stuff. Nice to be clean and have clean clothes. Already have my next two showers mapped out! Don't know what I'll do (for a shower) in the Smokies, though. Rathskellers (Franklin coffeehouse) was good and relaxing, but I spent most of my time there glued to the computer. Glad I got insect wipes and antibacterial wipes to help with the bugs on Gracie and my personal hygiene. I feel better tonight for having rinsed my legs and put my feet in the creek, and clean up. I do prefer to be clean, though now I know I can handle being stinky.
Sort of camping solo tonight. NH Mike is up the hill, but I'm essentially on my own. The NOC is very close, only two days, so I should get there on the 28th, right on schedule. Lots of people ask me about hiking alone - did I choose to? and the answer is yes. Although with Gracie, I don't feel particularly alone, or at least vulnerable or unsafe. Making this trek is very much a personal goal and journey. Having spent the majority of my life tied (by choice in most cases) to the goals, schedules, and interests of others, sometimes, but not always, to my benefit, and sometimes for an expedient benefit that had later repercussions on my sense of self and well-being, this journey is a rite of passage for me. This is where I take control of my life and decide daily how I want to spend my time Today for instance, I set out from Winding Stair Gap with an idea of my destination - Siler Bald Shelter. When I got there at 1pm, it was too early to stop. I took a long lunch, wrote a brief letter, then set out with another general goal (Wayah Bald) but also thinking I might want to camp solo. Turns out I'm not really solo here, but this was a great stopping point. Still, I know if I were hiking with someone else, there would be constant negotiating of when I where to stop, take breaks, and so on, and I just don't want to do that yet. I'm quite content to hike at a comfortable pace for Gracie & me and see where we end up each day. I do feel more confident and relaxed after the break in Franklin and being back on or close to the mail drop schedule. A schedule I created for myself and can follow or not as I choose.
Wayah - Cherokee for Wolf. Knowing I was headed to Wayah Bald I felt more comfortable about camping solo. Is the wolf my totem? I don't know. Need/want to pick up a book - Blue Highways or Essential Mystics.
Gracie the Wonder Dog/Homeland security system
2 parts watchdog (bark & bite)
1 part pack mule (unless it's in the 80s)
1 part bedwarmer (must add at least 10 degrees to the warmth of the sleeping bag, bless her!)
1 part mountain goat
2 parts goofball
Her terror alert is at an elevated level on the trail. Most people I talk to think this is a good thing. We heard gunshots this evening when we got to camp and as we approached the campsite, but they've been stopped for a long time now. They sounded pretty far off and I wasn't overly concerned, just noticing.
Loving the new insoles I picked up in Franklin (thanks Susan L.!). I May need to watch for new friction spots over the next week, but so far so good. Didn't have to tape or bandage the existing blisters today, so that was great!
26 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment