25 April 2009

100+ miles

Down, 2078 to go! Gracie and I are taking a short break in Franklin, NC to celebrate our first milestone. We did a little early celebrating/resting at Neels Gap (around mile 30) to nurse a blister, and have been trucking ever since. Seven days without a shower is tooooooo long. Won't do that again if I can help it.

This'll be a quick update because I've got to get to the outfitters to resupply before they roll up the sidewalks at 6, but I found a cool coffeehouse/winebar with a computer, and will fill you in as much as I can in the time available.

Highlights from the first 9 days:
Eve of the start: Meeting "the rifleman,"a sketchy character deposited at the AT hiker shelter at Amicalola Falls State Park at midnight by a flashlight-toting person. We were sound asleep, and Gracie went ballistic when he came in the door, thankfully, because as soon as rifleman had settled in the upper loft, he started to tell me about the rifle and machete he was carrying. I was glad I had Gracie, otherwise, I'd have been a little freaked out. This guy didn't last long on the trail, and creeped out everyone else who met him. I'll elaborate more when I get the chance.
Day 1: Summiting Springer with time and energy to spare!
Day 2: Meeting the "Texas Train," four guys who went to school together, one of whom (Matt) is from Austin and knew of me and my supply boxes through Carson. We've been leapfrogging each other ever since.
Day 3: Perservering through blister pain (thoughts of Naomi and Wildflower '08, if she could do it, so could I!) and a bear sighting in camp. Gracie slept right through it!
Day 4: First nero (nearly zero mile day), resupply box, trail magic at Neel's Gap (cheeseburgers, protein-style!), and Goose Creek Cabins
Day 5: Surviving the major rainstorm at Low Gap
Day 6: Camping atop Rocky Mountain (away from a shelter) with Geoff, and successfully throwing a bear bag (bear pinata) for the first time
Day 7: First 15 mile day, whew!
Day 8: Lazy day, lots of sightseeing (cliffs, cessna wreckage) and taking our time
Day 9: Gracie's bravery leaping onto a log bridge and her prowess pulling me up Albert Mountain.
Day 10: Trail magic sodas, snacks, and dog treats at Winding Stair Gap and the free ride to Franklin, a hot shower, and laundry! I was starting to smell like the Gorilla exhibit at the Zoo!

Unfortunately, I can't upload photos from here, but will do so when I get a chance. Next major update won't be until Hot Springs, NC, which is 170-something miles from here. Thanks so much for the phone calls and emails, they are so sustaining, keep 'em coming. We'll keep walking!

After 10 days, the list of things that don't hurt has finally gotten longer than the list of things that do. As I told my Mom, though, my heart and spirit feel great, so the physical pain is really inconsequential. We're still finding our groove and getting the hang of things, but trail life is good, so far.

3 comments:

A/K said...

yay! I've been waiting for your first update. So glad to hear that things are settling in and it's turning out to be quite the adventure. You and Gracie are in my thoughts!! Have fun!

--Kelly

Brian Kirk said...

looks like you kicked some butt on day 7! keep on hiking!

dancestoblue said...

Hey you crazy kid -- Just back in from California trip, decided to check in on your progress, and it sure do look good. I'm glad you were able to get you a knife, to protect you from bears and stuff probably, or at least to cut a piece of rope maybe. One hundred miles down, heck, you're almost done, it's all anti-climatic from here, almost all downhill from now on, from what I understand, with a pleasant breeze in your face and no rain except for nice pleasant rains which do not start until after you're tucked into your tent and stuff.

Keep on rocking, Ms. Kell and Ms. Graci.

Peace.

Stephen