18 April 2010

Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (4/17/09)

[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]

17 April 2009 - Day 3 - Gooch Mtn Shelter -> Woods Hole Shelter
Tomorrow, Neels Gap & camping at Goose Creek Campground - shower! Resupply!
I like Shortcut's style - pack up & get moving, then stop for breakfast. Will try it tomorrow so Gracie stays warm. About 2 miles to Slaughter Creek (Campsite), more water, good place for breakfast. Tough day today. Physical Inventory: right heel blister, right foot bone soreness, tops of my feet, shins, and calves are sore, ligament behind right knee. Glutes, right neck sore.
At least I don't have all kinda chafing, like some people. Emotional Inventory: really good until Gracie nipped a lady headed to the spring at Woods Hole. I just need to warn people she's not friendly - she's working. So, that has put a damper on my evening.

Bear report at the shelter has moved me & Gracie into the shelter (I had initially pitched the tarp 50 yards from the bear cables, where the bear had made an appearance the night before). Could really use cell service so I could check my messages. Lots of time today thinking about my friends, Allah, 3rd & 7th step prayers, an ex, but I focused on stepping carefully to not cause more or worsen existing blisters.

Highlights: Hawk crossed our path today

Food:
B - Oats
L - Trail mix & gluten-free pretzels
D - refried beans & polenta, chocolate!

Retrospective: I'd had a foot issue earlier in the year from wearing boots with insufficient cushioning/support and my trail runners were starting to give me the same symptoms

No comments: