28 April 2010

Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (4/28/09)

[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]

28 April 2009 - Day 14, Mile 135.0 - Wesser Bald Shelter -> Nantahala Outdoor Center

Relaxing day at the NOC. Took a shower, had a cheeseburger, fries, and beer (Gracie got the bun) with NH Mike, Pittsburg, and Geoff. Met Lone Wolf. Gracie got to swim in the Nantahala and almost got swept down the rapids when I threw a stick too far into the current. Fortunately she's a strong swimmer and problem solver and had the sense to abandon the stick and make for the shore while I called for her frantically. I got to the NOC in advance of the box I had forwarded from Franklin, so I walked a mile to the convenience store to restock a few things and will set out tomorrow for Fontana Dam.

Trying a couple of new things tonight - stealth camping along the river near the NOC to save $. It is inconceivable to backtrack to the nearest shelter, and too expensive to get a pet-friendly cabin. I'm also sleeping with the food bag in the tent. Seems too close to civilization for bears to be a concern, plus the trash cans at the NOC are not bear-proof. Eric may end up here tonight, too. I'm a little wary of him, having only met him on the shuttle to the outfitter in Franklin, but I'm trusting that most hikers, especially thru-hikers, are on the up & up. Gracie never really warmed up to him, though, and I pay attention to that, plus, Eric knows Gracie can bite. I'll try to get as far as I can tomorrow, it's supposed to be a tough day. Eight miles uphill out of the NOC. Plan to carry Gracie's pack most of the way to Fontana to make tracks and give her feet a break. A tick jumped on me tonight as we sat at the river bank, but I didn't find any others on her.

No comments: