24 April 2010

Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (4/24/09)

[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]

24 April 2009 - Day 10, Mile 103.9 - Beech Gap Tenting Area -> Rock Gap Shelter

Another long day. 15 miles is a lot on the AT. Today was not easy, stretches of hot, dusty trail, hard climb up Albert Mountain that Gracie pulled me through. I was so proud of her this morning. She had to leap down from one log onto a log bridge over a stream. I took her pack off and she was nervous, but with encouragement, she made the leap just fine. I took her pack off for the ascent of Albert Mountain as well and let her lead the way. She did great. She also climbed the steps to the top of the Albert Mountain firetower, but was not too crazy about hanging out at the top.

Ten hours from start to finish hiking time, not including breaks for water, breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Glad I had one Ibuprofen left and can restock tomorrow. Shooting for Winding Stair Gap and shuttle at 11am. Possibly have enough food to keep going to the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) if I make a few purchases in town. Need to check Gracie's supply and figure out what I need. Not much appetite for dinner tonight - gave most of it to the wonder dog.
Talked to Mom and David C. today, and it made me homesick. It's interesting that I'm wanting connection more than ever. I used to bristle at being asked to "call when you get there," but now I'm wanting to call all the time. I miss my friends and family, but am glad to be here. Nice people out here so far. Raspberry & Raindancer are @ the shelter with me tonight. Nice women who served in the Peace Corps (Africa) together. They're good company (and funny).

Highlight of the day: celebrating Gracie's log leap and her getting me up Albert Mountain
Low point: Thinking I was near the top of Albert Mountain, and looking up to see the firetower waaaaay up there.

I rinsed off a bit @ camp tonight, and though I'm still stinky, I feel much better. Still spending time worrying about Gracie. Today's heat - 80s at times - was quite warm for her under a load. I'm acclimated to the heat, but she's not. I think I need to just let her set the pace and see how she's doing a week or two after the Smokies. So warm tonight, I'm sleeping in shorts and long sleeves. Nice to not be battling Gracie's shivers.

Goals for 4/25:
See Wasilisk Poplar
Winding Stair Gap by 10:30am
Pickup Drops/decide on resupply and ship home/ahead (NOC?)
Get list of necessary items
Supplement existing food supply?
Figure out internet access and tend to list/bills

No comments: