02 May 2009

She's Somewhere in the Smoky Mountain Rain...

Hola from the Fontana Village Resort, where I have had an awesome Zero Day (zero miles hiked), my first so far. I'm about to hit up the breakfast buffet (look out!) then head up into the Great Smoky Mountains, which are doing their thing out the window from where I sit. My hiking buddy Pittsburgh graciously offered to share his hotel room with me, so I had deluxe accomodations last night and this morning makes three showers in the last 36 hours. Should be enough to get me through the Smokies. This will be my longest stretch between resupply thus far (5-7 days, depending on how long I take to hike the Smokies), but I am well stocked on food thanks to David & John. Plus a few tea light candles by which to dine. I am missing my hiking partner (Gracie), but she'll be well cared for this week and get some much needed rest. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is considered a preserve, and (I think) for that reason, dogs are not allowed in the backcountry. Thus the kennel. The nice folks at Loving Care Kennels will deliver her to me at the other side of the park. I explained everything to miss Gracie before we parted.

I have eaten very well here, thanks, Eddie! They make an awesome creme brulee. Hiking makes me crave fat and sugar, apparently. Snicker bars have taken on a whole new meaning! I've decided that hiking 10-15 miles a day, up and down hills, is similar to doing a triathlon each day as far as exertion levels and caloric expenditures. I'm having a blast, enjoy being in the woods, and am grateful each day for the love and support you give, my friends. I think of each of you as I hike. I'll update again after I get through the Smokies, and may send a phone update through a friend in the meantime. Until then, the breakfast buffet is calling my name...

6 comments:

A/K said...

Go, Kelli, Go! It is so cool to know as I go about my daily chores/routine that you are out hiking the AT. Amazing.

We are having a Wildflower reunion tonight at Uncle Billy's. I will tell all you say hi and all about your adventure.

Keep truckin.

jill said...

I completed my first triathlon today and am positive that a daily repeat is not in the cards for me right now! You were the inspiration that led to the first step. Thanks for that.

sparksnsmoke said...

Yay you got the gift card! Woo-hoo! I'll be sending you more mail this week. I am up to the point in "A Walk in the Woods" where the author decides to skip most of the Smokies and go to Virgina. Wimp!
Wishing you great weather and dry socks,

Eddie

Skimbleshanks said...

Kelli, I am voraciously reading everything I can get my hands on, still hoping to meet up. AWOL On The Applacian Trail and A Walk In The Woods are both great accounts of the AT. Thanks for the magazines - they are next.

Skimbleshanks said...

Oh, and this is Jenny K.

corocita said...

Worried you didn't get my package...did I insult Gracie with dehydrated chicken breasts??? Just teasing - am loving the read! Keep keeping us updated...