09 May 2009

Reunited and it feels so good!

Gracie arrived safe, sound, a little fatter, and happy to see me two days ago, and we hit the trail right off. We made it from Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs in just two days. Gracie carried a mostly empty pack, and I carried it for her at times. Have decided to ship her pack ahead to Damascus to see how she does without it. Our first day back hiking together was idyllic after the Smokies. Beautiful warm weather, the smell of wildflowers all around, and some nice views. We hit the summit of Max Patch Bald in the late afternoon and it was awesome. It looks just like the default screen saver for Windows, but better. I was wanting to camp there, but wind gusts of 40 mph, technical difficulties with gear, and warnings of bear activity in the area made the safety in numbers afforded by staying at the next shelter irresistible. My consolation was removing my shoes and socks to hike from the summit of Max Patch back to the treeline barefoot. Pure bliss to the feet after five days of hiking in wet and soggy shoes and socks.

Speaking of technical difficulties, here is Hiker Tip #37
When trail conditions are wet, never step directly on logs. No less than an hour after I phoned the previous update to Sandra, I stepped on a log, slipped and had my third faceplant in five days. Something about having close to thirty pounds strapped to your back makes falling happen in slow motion. I came down pretty hard on my knee and heard a crack. I'd snapped one of my trekking poles in half. As with my experience stepping on nails last year, I have finally learned to be more careful where I step. Apparently, I'm a bit of a klutz. A replacement pole is on order, and I have rigged a temporary fix in the meantime. But this makes pitching the tarp a little challenging.

Standing Bear Farm was an oasis of hiker comfort after the rigors of the Smokies. They have outdoor showers, comfy bunks, a washboard/washtub/wringer for washing clothes, a kitchen for cooking (it is a novelty to eat out of a bowl, instead of the pot I cooked in), and use the honor system for payment. I seem to have a little post traumatic stress disorder from all the rain. I kept thinking it was raining when all I was hearing was the creek running through the property.

Yesterday morning was Smokies: The Sequel for Gracie & I. Driving rain, thunder and lightning, and a little hail until noon. But we survived! Getting booted off the computer at the library. Will post again when I can.

1 comment:

Ava said...

Your third faceplant in five days... oh my. My inner adventurer is living vicariously through you. The wet socks is a detail that makes it all so very real. I love that you are saving your dry pair for sleeping... so wise. Life here is ..er.. so much the same by comparison. I am doing my move on Sunday and will be so @#$# glad when it's over. It's the first move I've done w/o the help of a man and there's some pride in that, but some sore muscles as well. There's a new meeting on Tues night for singles. It's good. A growth experience.. Keep the blogs coming. Ava