15 May marked my thirty day anniversary on the trail. Here are a few stats for the duration:
356.9 miles from Springer Mountain, GA
2 - 20 mile days
2 - zero mile days
3 blisters (all mostly healed)
1 new pair of insoles
3 states (GA, NC, TN)
4 National Forests (Cherokee, Chatahoochee, Nantahala, Pisgah)
1 National Park (Great Smoky Mountains)
1+ journal
3 coffee cups (I finally ditched the disposables and bought a lexan cup in Erwin, TN)
700+ photos
5 occurrences of Trail Magic
Things broken: spork, trekking pole
Things abandoned: shaving, deodorant
Things found: resourcefulness to patch a broken trekking pole until the replacement arrived, creativity to retrieve a rock sack stuck in a tree branch 25 feet in the air, and resilience to endure with a mostly positive attitude more consecutive days of rain and wet soggy trail than I care to count
It's not likely that I'll do similar updates at each 30 day increment, but this first 30 felt kinda big, so there it is. I am keeping a daily written journal, and while it's not possible for me to post all those entries now, when I return, I will take the time to post excerpts from each day along with pictures, either here or at trailjournals.com.
18 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kelli - You have accomplished a lot! Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing your experience. Prayers for your safety happen quite often!
Hi Kelli, Congratulations on your 1month milestone. The trail, to date, sounds tough but rewarding. Here's hoping that you find more clear skys and cool days in the next 30 days! Glad to hear that you are keeping a journal. Very glad to have this form of contact with you.
Post a Comment