25 April 2009

The Town Stop

Franklin, NC is a cool and friendly little town, great choice for a town stop, though I'd opt for a local restaurant

Here's a rundown of what happens when I get to town:

1. SHOWER!
2. Laundry!
after these two, the rest can go in pretty much any order according to post office and store schedules
3. Food!
4. Resupply (food, gear repair/replacement, cooking fuel, toiletries)
5. Check in with friends and family as much as time allows
6. Soak the feet
7. Air out gear
8. Gaze in wonder at such fascinating conveniences as ready-to-drink water, no filtering required, flush toilets, running water (again), and stores with aisles and aisles of non-backpacking worthy foods.
9. Relax and enjoy sleeping in a real bed, where (hopefully) rodents aren't skittering through the rafters.

Today's town stop meant retrieving my new knife (thanks, Stephen!), a visit to the local outfitter for new insoles, a replacement tent stake, cooking fuel, and a town shirt (gotta have something to wear while the rest of the laundry launders). Had a good meal (the rotisserie chicken made me miss Julio's) and caught up as much as I could online, natch. Gracie has spent the day lounging in the motel room, much deservedly. Looking forward to a night of uninterrupted rest and a lazy Sunday morning before hitting the trail again.

3 comments:

jill said...

Kelli,

Thanks for the update. I have been checking for it. Even my sister asked if I had heard anything. You continue to inspire. Enjoy the hike until your next shower!!!

love,
Jill

sparksnsmoke said...

I am currently reading "A Walk In the Woods" so I am understanding a bit of what you must be experiencing. My best wishes for strength, health and low-stress adventure are sent to you!

corocita said...

Woo-Hoo!! Sounds like you're doing great, Kelli! Thanks for the phone call yesterday and for letting me know you're on-time! Hope my box gets there on time as I had to replace your chocolate! It melted - I didn't eat it, I promise... Love keeping up with the blog. You're doing amazing...