07 April 2009

backyard shakedown

In a perfect world, by now Gracie and I would have been on a number of brief overnight trips and at least one week-long hike to test everything out and develop a routine. That has not happened, and at this point, we've got over 2000 miles ahead of us with which to fine tune. I'm planning to start slow, 10+ miles per day average, while we get everything figured out and create a routine that works for us. Still, when I saw the weather report for last night, I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to test the gear for cold weather.

So I pitched the tarp in the front yard. Of course, I waited until 10:30pm to put myself at a little disadvantage, since I won't always get to pitch in ideal conditions, and I was able to test the headlamp. I'm still working on getting a good, taut pitch to the tarp. The trekking poles make this easier, and I'll have it down before too long.
Last night's pitch, shown above, was much better than the one for the party Sunday, shown below.
The sleeping bag was a great investment. It only got down to 34 last night, but Gracie and I both stayed toasty, with the exception of my feet. That's probably because the sleeping pad doesn't extend beyond my lower legs. I cut that section out for Gracie to use, but I'll remedy that on the trail by placing the backpack there. Gracie did a good job staying close to keep us both warm, and the bag was roomy enough that I could throw a section over her and we could easily use it quilt-style. If we see colder temps, and it's likely we will, I've got additional layers I can wear, and Gracie has her fleece coat, so I think we're set. If need be, a silk bag liner will add an extra 5-10 degrees comfort range to the bag, but I'm gonna wait and see if I can get by without it.

After coffee, granola, and blogging, we're off to pack everything up and hike the Hill of Life!

Gear tests to date:
  • Headlamp
  • Pitching the tarp at night
  • Camping in the cold
    • Sleeping bag
    • Wool baselayer top & bottom
    • Buff - balaclava style
  • Backpacking stove

No comments: