I do wish I had the time to upload more photos from the trip, but tending to a dog and myself takes more effort than I anticipated. Until I get back home, here's a photo from our stay at the Green Mountain House in Manchester Center, Vermont. This was a great hostel, and exceptionally well run by former thru-hiker Jeff. He took this photo after he dropped us at the trailhead. Gracie actually rode in the cab of the pickup, not the bed. She looks pretty stout in this picture. It's amazing how muscular she's become. She'll be wearing her pack again for the Whites. She has lots of extra energy in the evenings, thanks to the cooler weather and being pack-free for such a long time. Manchester Center was the first time we hitched a ride into town. Gracie & I didn't have much luck. We stood at the road for 20-40 minutes. Checkpoint joined us about 15 minutes before it started to rain, and we soon had a ride into town. I'm not too fond of hitchhiking, even though it's easier/safer around trail towns than elsewhere. We'll have to hitch a few more times before this is all over, though. Headed to another hostel near Hanover, New Hampshire for the night. Tomorrow we begin our approach to the White Mountains.
30 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You guys both look fantastic!! What a great picture. So glad to see you both doing well, and to hear that y'all have already gone soo far. Thinking of you often...you're so close!!
Kelly
George!? I want to hear the story! You are awesome. I am amazed, every time I think of you (and Gracie) and that trail. Up to mid-August, I would think of you when I was moving stuff around your resupply box that was waiting safely in my fridge, and since sending it I have wondered, in my worrier way, whether you and the box would actually meet up. The point being: I've been thinking about you a lot recently, wondering where you might be, and marveling. Thanks for the blog, and the pic, and other communications, that help make it real. I look forward to the BOOK!! ; )
Wow! Your hair is so long! Hope you are feeling better from the head cold and staying warm and dry whenever you can!
Post a Comment