Today is our four month trail-versary, and I made Journey laugh over breakfast when I said I thought it was quite fitting to spend it zero-ing in town! We hiked only three miles to get to Dalton, MA yesterday, then spent the rest of the day dealing with the bus service to get to our maildrops in Cheshire and get more food for Gracie. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I planned to get from Sheffield, MA to Manchester Center, VT in 5 days. Not gonna happen! Twenty mile days are no longer part of my vocabulary. So, yesterday's "rest day" was not so restful and we decided to stay on another day. Lots has happened since Gracie & I left New Jersey.
We stayed at Graymoor Spiritual Life center (run by a bunch of Franciscan monks), camping behind the ballfield backstop. They were having a centennial celebration/reunion weekend for their recovery program, and all the hikers were invited to share in the meals that day, which was a nice treat. Although the stop at Graymoor wasn't the peace and quiet hoped for, just being there brought a sense of calm and serenity, especially when I took Gracie for a walk through the grounds and visited to eclectic shrines and memorials.
The following day, it rained and rained, and when the thunder and lightning started, Gracie and I literally crawled under a rock for a bit to wait out the weather. After we started walking again, I spent the rest of the afternoon cursing the trail and every frustrating thing about it. Being at Graymoor helped me be aware of and feel my anger and frustration, and letting it out was really cathartic. The rain cleared up before I reached the shelter, and by the next morning, I was happy to hike again.
We camped in the backyard of a real estate office (with permission) in Kent, CT and I had a "Kent Mocha" at Kent Coffee & Chocolate before leaving town the next morning. Kent is the kind of place people go to buy things they don't need, but the people were friendly and they had some great public art. I picked out a dark chocolate ginger Buddha at the chocolate shop, and packed it out of town for a trail treat. In Salisbury, CT, we visited the nation's first public library, Journey and Blink shared their ice cream with me on the benches outside the local market, and we all cooked and ate dinner on the lawn of the town square, beneath a statue, before hiking a mile out of town to camp.
We spent a "working zero" at an organic farm near Sheffield, MA, where we spent hours weeding and mulching peppers and eggplants in exchange for a place to tent, showers, laundry, a trip to Great Barrington for shopping (they have a great co-op!), and meals that reminded me of Casa de Luz. Almost everything served was grown on the farm.
We're staying at the house of the nicest guy in Dalton. He's opened his home to hikers for 30 years! Hiking the trail is an amazing opportunity to experience firsthand the kindness and generosity of the human spirit. Trail magic is one of the things I'll remember most about this adventure.
15 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good to read about y'all, Kelli! So glad to hear about the magic. We're curious...where'd you meet Journey and Blink, and is one of them canine?
Post a Comment