Another crazy week on the AT for us. When we got to Glencliff, Journey told me it was time for her to go home. I was really sad, and already anxious about New Hampshire, so felt like I was starting all over again when Gracie and I hiked out on our own the next day. Still, I have so much respect for Journey, who continued to hike with one broken and one sprained finger, and had the courage to honor that voice that said it was time to go home. It is hard to part ways with trail family, but I know I have a friend for life and am grateful for the time we spent on the trail together.
Our second day out of Glencliff, we hiked up Little Haystack, on our way to Franconia Ridge. Over halfway up the tough, tree-lined climb, I was near tears and wondering why I was still doing this. Had I really hiked over 1800 miles for yet another tough climb, with nothing to see but rocks and trees? Full of frustration, I kept climbing, and soon, we were above treeline, and I was crying again, awestruck by the view. Yes, I walked 1800 miles for this! Franconia Ridge is now my favorite view on the AT. Gracie and I stayed on the ridgeline for awhile, and caught up to Luke and his father, Matthew on Mt. Lafayette. We ended up hiking together all the way to Pinkham Notch, then I hiked on while they went into Gorham to rest.
Before we reached Pinkham Notch, we all summitted Mt. Washington, highest peak in New Hampshire. The highlight of Mt. Washington was running into fellow Austinite Carrie Williams on the summit. Crazy coincidence and a total delight!
The next night, we did a work for stay at Carter Notch Hut, and were reunited with The Saint and Aquafresh, and a host of other fellow northbounders. Good times. Now we're resting up in Gorham, with probably three to three and a half weeks left until Katahdin. The New Hampshire rocks have been so rough that Gracie is wearing her booties, and quite happily. Everyone seems to have converged in Gorham. It's like a hiker family reunion. I still miss Journey, but have not lacked for companions on the trail. We've also been blessed with some surprise care packages. Mucho thanks to Denali & Gorgonzola's friend Dave for letting me use his laptop for an update. Internet is hard to come by here. Thanks for all the good wishes and support! Onward to Maine!
Kel & Gracie
13 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You sure do have courage, Ms. Kel -- even to have begun this trip takes jam, and to keep on keeping on as others find their end point... You've shown again and again your determination; you've set a goal and you're keeping on toward it. I surely do admire you.
Prayers for you and the pooch, for a lift to your feet, and a lift to your spirit. We're with you as best we can, Kelly, and wishing you courage.
Peace.
Stephen
Also -- headed over to see our Thursday night friends, I'll say hi to all in an hour or two...
Stephen
Post a Comment