02 January 2012

dinner!

In an effort to take better care of me this year, I'm going grain-free. I've tried gluten free (GF) since 2007, but had a hard time sticking to it, especially after my AT thru, by the end of which I'd thrown any dietary caution off a cliff. It was tough getting back on track, and after two years, I was still struggling. Dr. Moos pointed me toward Dr. Phil Maffetone's work, and after a two-week carb elimination test, I felt better than I ever had when I was strictly GF. I gave in to birthday and Thanksgiving temptations, but got mostly back on track by Christmas. What I've learned in the meantime is that GF substitutes (GF bread, crackers, baked goods) cause all the cravings and blood sugar swings as anything made with wheat flour, with the added bonus of being unsatisfying and leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. Also, dairy is as much a culprit as gluten for me in terms of inflammation & bloating.

People ask, "what in the heck do you eat? How do you give up grains
?!?" And I include corn, white potatoes, and refined sugar, while I'm at it. Actually, there's still plenty to choose from. Eggs and meat (preferably pasture-raised & pasture-finished), wild-caught fish, vegetables - lots of vegetables, leafy greens, fruit (avocado!), nuts & seeds (except peanuts), and dark chocolate. Suffice it to say, I am no longer vegetarian. Tonight's dinner was a very satisfying spaghetti sauce (from a jar - no sugar added) that I spruced up with some sauteed elk, green bell pepper, and black olives. Served over a bed of arugula wilted in bacon drippings. Also steamed broccoli with Casa de Luz' pepita sauce. I don't miss the old brown rice pasta a bit. But what do I eat guacamole with, if I don't eat chips? A spoon, of course!

1 comment:

Devon said...

So what you're saying is that it's going to be an interesting year eating out with you...? : )