18 December 2011

guerrilla art - 1

Have I mentioned one of my favorite things is guerrilla art? Seeing art in unexpected places, made with unexpected media, the fact that someone had a vision (often quirky) and took the time to bring it to life for others to experience, these things make me happy. I like graffiti. Some tagging can be quite uninspired, but oftentimes I can gaze with wonder at how someone can get so much nuance and expression from a spray can. Once at Venice Beach, a street performer/artist was making small-scale (8x10, 11x14) graffiti art. It was cool to watch the process, and to learn there are special spray tips you can use to get different effects. I saw this cool bit of art today that had been painstakingly rendered on the side of a building that is being renovated. The raccoon makes me forget this is done on plywood. East Side!



Then there's the recent rise of guerrilla knitters who sneak about placing knit sweaters on all sorts of public objects. Yarn bombs. Love this stuff, too. I guess it's been cold enough that the Hyde Park Bar & Grill fork needed a sweater.




No comments: