This summer Austin was host to a Cows on Parade public art project. Normally, I'm a big fan of art in public places, with the exception of giant red metal sculptures, but I was initially vehement in my contempt when the art cows began to appear on sidewalks. Not one to get riled up about much, it was funny for my friends to observe me with the following bones to pick:
A. The cow parade is old news - when I heard about the original cow parade in Chicago a number of years ago, I thought it was brilliant. It seemed like an old idea by now. Insert bad jokes about milking it until the cows come home here.
B. Didn't we just do "Guitar Town" - an Austin, "Live Music Capital of the World" take on the cow parade theme? At least that was an original twist to an old idea.
C. There was at least one other thing bugging me about the cows.
Then I saw one up close as I was leaving Barton Springs one morning. A dad was taking his kids' pictures on it; super cute, OK. Then I discovered the title of the piece was a pun, or wordplay, and I was totally charmed. And insisted on saying "cows on parade" with the same inflection/emphasis as "Pigs in Space."
Favorites:
Discow at Whole Foods
Scrabbull at City Hall Plaza
Eye Cowrumba at the Long Center
Cow-Moo-Flage (I think this is the one that hooked me)
Flamencow
Really, the Cows! On! Parade! are like stationary art cars (I still don't understand why there's no art car community in Austin), and are better canvases than guitars for depicting some awesome art puns.
My only disappointment was the egregious absence of a "Frida Cow-lo."
12 December 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment