16 October 2009

endings and beginnings

I summitted Katahdin Sunday, October 11th. A beautiful day as we started the climb and great views from the Tablelands, but the weather turned for the worse the closer we got to the summit. Atop Katahdin we braved 50+mph wind gusts, driving sleet, and a wind chill of 0-6 degrees. Without a doubt, the coldest and most dangerous weather experienced on the hike. We spent no more than 15 minutes on the summit, getting a few photos and exchanging congratulatory hugs and high fives. There was hardly time for tears, though I did shed a few. The descent was slow and very, very cold. We were walking directly into the wind gusts and sleet for awhile. Willow and Tim (Mr. Willow) were behind me, and I kept looking back to make sure they were there - my safety net, if you will. My glasses were worthless. I covered most of my face with my pirate bandanna, and shielded my eyes from the sleet with one gloved hand, switching hands when one got too cold. By the time we got back to the Tablelands, the storm cloud had moved on, and we could see the summit, clear as day, with a brilliant blue sky all around. My friend Phil was waiting for me at Katahdin Stream Campground, and it was awesome to have an Austin connection there. I'm in Harpers Ferry, WV today, headed back to Georgia (by car, not on foot!) with a side trip planned to visit family in Tennessee. Thanks so much for all the support. I'll post more details and photos after I get home. Peace, and love, y'all!

2 comments:

dancestoblue said...

Congratulations. Everyone is 'going' to do something cool and/or great but you just went on and did it, and followed through. Supercool.

I look forward to seeing you back in Austin but hope you take a nice trip back, time to reflect upon it all.

You flat rock. A huge accomplishment.

Hope to see you soon.

Peace.

Stephen

jill said...

I cannot believe that the trip is complete! I am so proud of you. Having you back in Austin will be so wonderful!!!