14 June 2009

so many possible titles

For this post I couldn't pick just one:
Feet don't fail me now
I haven't got time for the pain
Pain is every step
Applicant for the Ministry of Funny Walks
Don't change hiking shoes (or insoles) mid-hike

Everything was great until I replaced my insoles in Pearisburg. Unfortunately for me, the new insoles made my shoes about a half size smaller, and caused achilles pain, chafing on the tops of my toes, and, once I ditched the insoles, chafing on my right ankle. At some point between Pearisburg and Daleville, I also bruised my right shin. It could've been worse. Until I discovered the bruise, I spent much hiking time wondering if I had given myself a stress fracture. Sometimes lots of time to think is not a good thing! I hobbled into Daleville and bought a new pair of shoes at the outfitter, opting for the ones that hurt my feet the least. Soaked the shin in Epsom salts and have spent the last two days eating and resting at the Evans' in Lynchburg. Their goal was to put 5-6 pounds on me, and they've done a great job trying! My best zero days yet!

Simply put, Bob & Pam totally rock! Pam went shopping and had all kinds of gluten-free foods and baking mixes at the ready, and had made a batch of gluten-free brownies for the night I arrived. The first full day I was there, I didn't leave the house, I just rested, cooked, and ate. And ate. And ate. Breakfast alone was four eggs with green chile and cheese, three sausage patties, and almost a whole batch of gluten free blueberry pancakes. Then I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and ate more brownies. I almost didn't want to leave Lynchburg! Pam and Bob were excellent hosts. I arrived a worn out, burned-out hiker, and left rested, fortified, and a little fatter!

Rested, supremely well-fed, shin somewhat improved, and feet much better (though still swollen), my friend Jenny from Austin and I head out this morning to hike a few days together. I've been looking forward to the company because I've started to get pretty lonely and homesick on the trail. I've finally had a chance to post some pics. They're all lumped together in this album, and not in exact chronological order. Be prepared for lots of pictures of scenery, and my head with scenery! http://picasaweb.google.com/kelhardin/AT09

2 comments:

Devon said...

Whoa, Kelli, your hair sure is getting long out there! : )

You've taken a lot of great pictures, but the best is number 210. No question.

Glad your feet/legs are on the mend! Enjoy your time out there!

Oh, Steve and I adopted two adorable, sweet lop bunnies this weekend! You'll have to see them when you get back! (Actually, there will be A LOT to catch up on when you get back!)

Ava said...

I clicked on expecting this really long hair. Bad joke, Devon (smile). Kelli, I'm loving your blogs and hoping your shins get better soon. Great pics too.