I have decided that walking 15-20 miles a day makes me pretty tired once I stop. Had planned to return to the trail this evening, but almost passed out this morning and decided I was too tired/dehydrated to attempt the 7ish miles I had planned. They'll still be there tomorrow. Ed has been a fabulous host, although things are a little quieter around here than last week. He keeps telling me he only throws giant parties once every three years, but I figure if I hang around long enough, there will be another one.
My last three days in the Shinandoahs were pretty outstanding. I got my shin taped correctly and was able to walk relatively ibuprofen and (mostly) pain-free. A steady diet of cheeseburgers, blackberry milkshakes, and a spring-cooled beer each evening definitely helped. My last night, a park ranger tipped me off to a nice camping spot atop Mount Marshall, and I had my best rest of the entire hike in the fabulous tarptent (thanks, Jenny!). Sleeping in the woods has taken some getting used to. During our last three days we saw 10 bears, including a mama bear with three tiny cubs. Some of them were pretty close to the trail, and I got some decent photos. Gracie seems less anxious about the bears (she didn't lose her lunch after any of the sightings!) and even held a down stay at one point.
Speaking of miss Gracie Ann, she got good reports from the vet in Waynesboro when I took her in for Lyme disease and Leptospirosis vaccines. She's only lost .4 pounds, which is great. A young man from a boy scout group we ran into in SNP commented on her muscular legs. I got a good tick collar for her from a vet in Warrenton, VA, because I'm still pulling quite a few ticks despite using topical flea/tick meds every 21 days. In addition, I got some permethrin spray to treat my clothing since we're entering deer tick territory.
I'm really glad to be feeling better, and have so much gratitude for the support I've been receiving through comments, emails, and voice mails. Not to mention the mail drops, cards, letters, and care packages. I've had my lonely, frustrating, and challenging moments on the trail, but I'm convinced that it's this community of support that keeps me going when the trail is tough. Thanks for everything!
Peace, George and Gracie
30 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment