23 July 2011

Race Report: Baytown Bud Heatwave

The last time this race happened was 11 years ago. They call it the heatwave for a reason. The last (and only previous) time I ran it was at least 15 years ago, and I almost passed out from heat stress. Granted, I was younger, dumber (i.e. not nearly as educated about training), and not really prepared for the distance and conditions. But I was very reluctant to enter races after that.

I was due for another visit to my birthplace, and an inexpensive 5 mile race on July 4 was good incentive for a family visit. Plus, I was curious to see how I'd fare with the benefits of age and experience. Race morning I dropped Gracie off at my parents house after a breakfast of raw oats, chia seed, raisins, walnuts, and almond milk. I drank a Nuun on the drive over. It was a fairly small field (352 finishers), but well supported with aid stations and cold sponges on the race route, showers, popsicles
(no HFCS), water, fruit, sodas, beer, & sausage on a stick at the finish. I enjoy smaller, grassroots races like this because the course is less crowded, and I have better odds of placing well in my age group. I never claimed I wasn't opportunistic. I'd driven the course the night before and the last mile and a quarter were daunting. A long straight stretch where you could see the finish three blocks to your right, but had to go another half mile or so before making the turn toward the finish. I ran the straightaway for my 20 minute warmup, then headed to the start.

A local student sang the heck out of the National Anthem, then I spotted my parents, who'd made it to see us off. I ran over to give them both a hug, really excited they were there. My goal for this race? In the back of my mind, breaking 40 minutes, but I really had no idea if that was reasonable, considering the conditions and that I'd only done long, slow, distance training to that point. Plus, some tightness in my right calf was just beginning to be an issue.

I went out conservative at the start.
Besides the real contenders, who were long gone, quite a few people motored past me, and I let them all go, telling myself I'd probably see some of them later in the race. I picked a comfortably hard pace and checked my time at the first mile. I was reasonably happy with the pace and settled into a pretty good rhythm through miles 2 and 3. Lots of turns in this section, and some welcome shade. A scenic course, this is not, but I don't think that would be possible in Baytown. Around mile 2, an older guy passed me and complimented my running form. He ended up winning his age group (65-69).

With a 7am start, the sun was fairly high by the halfway point, and it was getting hot. The ice cold sponges were awesome and plentiful. Between miles 3 & 4, it seemed like I stopped sweating, and I was mildly concerned. By this point in the race, I was starting to pass the people that went out too hard, and that just motivated me to keep my pace. The last mile was just as tough as I thought it might be, but I finished at 40:50 and change, for an 8:10 per mile pace and fourth in my age group. Not quite fast enough to score a giant beer mug, out of which I'd probably only drink smoothies. Technically I was seventh, but the top three women in my age group took the top three masters spots, so, I got bumped. I always like a free upgrade!

Post-run, I ate half a popsicle, lots of fruit, caught up with my parents, had one bite of sausage, and zero beer. Mom & Dad took me to a local taqueria for one of the best plates of huevos rancheros ever, infomercials on the TV notwithstanding. Then I went back to the hotel for an ice bath, trigger point, and nap before hanging with the fam for the rest of the fourth, which included a trip to Baskin Robbin's and two slices of mom's chocolate chess pie for the drive home.

No comments: