[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]
03 May 2009 - Day 19, Mile 186.7 - Russell Field Shelter -> Derrick Knob Shelter
Doubly glad that Gracie is not here for this part of the trip. Cold and wet all day in the Smokies. Mid 50s + high winds, mostly light rain, but practically non stop from 8:30 am - 3 pm. It is work enough keeping myself warm. I don't know how I would tend to her without getting the sleeping bag soaked. Down to one pair of dry socks. I do have shirt alternatives for tomorrow. If the weather is similar, tomorrow will be a psychological challenge.
This was a short mileage day, but when I got here, I was done. Soaked to the bone and ready to get warm & dry, not that easy to do in a crowded shelter. Some challenging climbs and descents - mostly because of the wet trail. Slipped a few times, but caught myself before a fall or injury. 50+ mph gusts of wind and rain as we crested Rocky Top and Thunderbird mountains. Exhilarating fun, but that was early in the day, before I was completely soaked. Pittsburgh was a good hiking buddy again - he wore more layers, though, and at the end of the day I was having trouble keeping warm so I headed on to the shelter while he took a break.
Earthworms 1.5 feet long were out in force after the rain. Full house of wet hikers at the shelter tonight. Will hike in damp socks tomorrow. There comes a point in the day when I stop caring where I step - how deep the mud or water is - because it just doesn't matter anymore. Still, all day with wet feet is a challenge. Hoping for 14 miles tomorrow, but in the cold rain that will be tough. Nice folks here tonight. People are starting to say I need a trail name by now, but still don't have one.
Walking through the Smokies alone this afternoon was otherworldly. For a few minutes the wind and rain both stopped and it was so still and quiet with the mist and clouds - the smoke of the Smokies - visible all around. I stopped briefly, just to listen to the silence. As I describe it now, I can feel myself relax from the inside out. Two more hikers just arrived (it's after dark) and it looks like they'll have to tent. I hear the chance of rain is less for tomorrow. I hope that's right. I am grateful to be in the shelter instead of the tarp. Two days of this would be impossible with the dawg.
03 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment