01 May 2010

Adventures on the Appalachian Trail (5/01/2009)

[A year ago April 15th, I set out to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail, northbound from Georgia to Maine, with my 7 year old dog, Gracie. Almost nightly, I wrote journal entries about what I was experiencing. The demands of trail life with a dog precluded me from posting these entries during the hike. I've chosen to post excerpts to mark the anniversary of this life-altering experience. Enjoy the journey, I certainly did.]

01 May 2009 - Day 17, Mile 163.7 -
Fontana Dam Shelter -> Fontana Village
Zero day at Fontana Dam/Fontana Village [first zero of the hike]. Got up just in time to get packed up before the rain began. Made breakfast in the rain and moved under the shelter overhang to eat. Rushed to get laundry done & get back to the marina to meet Lida, Gracie's boarder. Almost missed her at the rendezvous point because I was in the wrong place. Fortunately, she ran into Nordic, who knew where I was. Made some quick decisions on resupply and sent the rest with Lida to retrieve on the other end of the Smokies. Sent postcards to David & John and Eddie to thank them for their support and yummy/useful care packages. Then enjoyed my zero at the Fontana Village Resort. [Was actually quite glum and apprehensive without my lovebug Gracie Ann - best hiking partner ever and faithful security blanket]

Ran into Pittsburgh while I wad lunch and we hung out the rest of the day. Had a pulled pork/coleslaw sandwich, a margarita, quesadilla nachos, a beer, then creme brulee. [that was lunch and dinner. not one completely insane meal] All with a great view of the Smokies, where many of our hiking buddies set out today. Tomorrow will be soon enough to hike. I needed some time to adjust to existing without Gracie attached to my hip and this was good for it. Eddie had sent a wonderfully generous gift card, so dinner was on her. Pittsburgh generously shared his lodge room with me, so it was deluxe accommodations for the night. Tomorrow is breakfast buffet, a visit to the dam, and then back to the trail, most likely in the rain [weather today is sunny and delightful]. The rest is good for me. I spent some time in a rocking chair on the general store porch. The food bag is bulging again. There is a Mini Cooper convention at the resort. Popular place for motoring enthusiasts because of the Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles of road.
Hiking makes me crave fat & sugar. [will have a hard time recovering from this post-hike]

Retrospective: Pittsburgh was the first big example of how the right thing or person kept showing up just when I needed it along the trail. Without his good-humored company on that first day without Gracie, I would have been a wreck and hiking would have been much harder. He really was a lifeline that day, and the days to come and I am grateful he was there.

No comments: