13 March 2009

Gracie's Gear

So excited to receive Gracie's new backpack in the mail today. It probably weighs as much or more than the one I will carry. It's got ample room for a week's supply of food, booties (in case the terrain is hard on her feet, or it's especially cold) a food/water bowl, treats, and possibly a tennis ball or other toy. Plus it has two water bladders. We can use these to help balance the load, and carry spare water. It's much bigger than the day pack I've used on her before, and it will take some training/practice for her to get used to carrying a full load. Here are some cute pics of her with the pack loaded down with 14 cups of food, enough for seven days.

It's really hard to get an action shot of her with the pack, but here's an attempt. The training plan is to take her out on local trails with an empty pack and gradually work up to a full load over the next few weeks. One really nice feature of this pack is the separate harness/saddlebag setup. I can remove the saddlebags and carry her load to give her a break, without removing the harness. Here's a photo of her with just the harness on.

I have the best dog in the world!

No comments: