09 February 2009

The Kel-Bar

The recent recall of peanut butter and "foodlike" products containing peanut "paste," led me to the information that a product I once enjoyed, and thought to be from a small, independent producer, Larabar, was actually owned by General Mills. During the time that I gave up sugar, the Larabar was a godsend. Something that actually tasted like cherry pie, but was sweetened only by the sugar naturally occurring in dates and cherries. A way to eat chocolate without sugar, and the key lime pie was almost transcendent. I could lament that my beloved Larabar is now a sellout, but that would be a bit of a double standard, since I still eat at (and love) Chipotle, which is the *only* good thing I can think of about McDonald's. However, now I've perfected the art of good guacamole, and can survive independent of a burrito bowl. So what to do about this new information? My trust in mass produced food products is waning. What is "peanut paste" doing in products advertised as mostly raw, organic, and unprocessed? What the heck is peanut paste, anyway?

Fast forward to this evening. I'd recently bought some dates to try, and having decided I didn't like them, offered them to a coworker. Her response was "don't give them to me, make something with them." I also happened to have some unsweetened, dried cherries, and thought, maybe I could make my own 'larabar.' Tonight's experiment is a success.

I have no idea the amounts I used, but I used the following ingredients:

Raw almonds, soaked at least 24 hours
medjool dates
dried unsweetened cherries

Rinse and drain the almonds, and mince in a food processor
Pit the dates, add them to the almonds, and process
Add cherries and process some more

Test and add ingredients and process some more until you like it. It should end up in a moldable consistency, with most everything in minced or smaller pieces. Spread to 1/4 to 1 inch thickness on plastic wrap, wrap, and refrigerate. I'll try to add a picture, but don't count on it.

In yesterday's news, I made my own kick butt teriyaki-style veggie saute with garlic, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, red bell pepper, and carrot. The teriyaki included wheat-free tamari, fresh ginger, sesame oil, honey, and rice wine vinegar. Dang!

Have I mentioned cooking is my new favorite relaxation activity?
Eat well and be well!

3 comments:

margaret said...

Chipotle is no longer owned by McDonalds AND they use all-natural chicken raised without antibiotics on a vegetable diet. So you're good. :-) (Check Wikipedia for more info.)

austintatious said...

ah - thanks for confirming, I had thought they were independent again.

Stephanie said...

thanks for the bar recipe! i will try that soon. also, i love cooking - a friend just penned a wonderful Zen-veggie cookbook - Tassajara Dinners & Desserts, if you feel like checkin' in out. while it's not totally gluten-free, a lot of the recipes are.... i have to ignore the ones with dairy myself....