Earth Day Green Tip (same one I shared in the company newsletter this week)
This probably earns me "hippie" status, but I'm a big fan of
"thinking beyond the bag" when grocery shopping. While recycling is
great, it also uses valuable resources. What if I can reduce the amount
of packaging I need or use? I frequently shop at Wheatsville Co-op and while
they offer a nickel discount for each bag you bring for your groceries,
they offer the same discount if you bring your own (clean) containers
for bulk items. They have a wide variety of bulk products, including
beans, rice, pasta, nuts, granola, trail mix, loose tea, coffee, spices,
olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, tamari, nut butters, candy, flours,
grains, dried fruit, and pet food. They also have things like shampoo,
dish soap, laundry detergent, lotion, and Dr. Bronner's soap available
in bulk.
Using the digital scale in the bulk food department, I weigh each
empty container/lid and mark its tare weight on the lid. Then I fill the
containers and mark the bin # on the container. Over time, I've saved
lots of jars and bottles to use for my bulk shopping. I've got two
laundry detergent bottles that I've refilled many times over the past
four years, and I can't remember the last time I bought a new bottle of
shampoo because I keep refilling the old one. Many of the bulk groceries
are organic, and the bulk detergents and soaps are eco-friendly. Bulk
shopping saves more than just the nickel per container. I can refill my
Dr. Bronner's soap bottle for about half the cost of a new bottle.
Wheatsville encourages patrons to bring their own containers, and has
even offered a seminar on how to shop the bulk department. Your mileage
may vary at other stores.
-------------------
In other news, I continue to ride the rollercoaster of fatigue; I felt worse before I felt better. These days, I'm up two weeks, down another. Ferritin levels rose 20 points in six weeks, but are still low, and my red cell distribution (RDW) remains elevated, which means there's a higher concentration of immature cells. Ever go for a run at altitude? That's about what it feels like. Quite frustrating, but on the upside, I'm less depressed than I was before starting iron supplements, and sleeping better. This past week was another drop in energy. Running a 5K should not leave me wiped out the rest of the week, but it did. By Tuesday shortness of breath returned. So, we're exploring other options. My chiro thinks the fatigue could be related to Lyme disease, which I was quite likely exposed to on my thru-hike. I'll be checking with an MD this week to see if there are other tests we can run. In the meantime, I'm not running unless I *really* want to, taking some herbal tinctures for the Lyme, and digestive enzymes. I'm digesting *something* because I've gained about 15 pounds over the last four months, but I'm not getting energy from what I'm eating, or storing iron to the level I should. I eliminated all my potential problem foods as of last week - no sugar, soy, grains, legumes, dairy. More investigation and more waiting. I'm learning I'm not as patient as I thought I was.
1 comment:
Right on, hippie friend o' mine!
The old WWII ditty had the order of importance right: Reduce, re-use, recycle. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.
Post a Comment