Highlights:
- pre-race campout. The weather was nice enough to "cowboy camp." Gracie was a little more restless because the surrounding campsites had a later "lights out" than me, but she eventually settled in. So nice to sleep in the open.
- ending the first loop, a little family group was up on the bluff above the parking lot cheering the runners. The little kids stuck their hands out for high fives. That kind of stuff makes me smile. I was disappointed they weren't there for loops 2 & 3.
- halfway into the third loop, I noticed a bright red salvia blossoming off to the left of the trail, and wondered how I'd missed seeing it the first two loops. It looked almost neon in contrast to it's surroundings.
- spent most of loop 3 running alone. Emma Long is far enough from town to escape some of the sounds of civilization, which is nice.
- swimming. Spent some time throwing balls & sticks in the lake for Gracie to fetch the evening before. After the race I got to appreciate the cool Lake Austin waters and give Gracie more time in the water.
- finishing with Gracie. Robin arrived during the race to take over Gracie duty, as I had left her secured under a shady tree while I ran. As I made the final turn to the finish, Robin was there with Gracie and I took her leash. Continuing the trend of terrible race photos, the photographer was plagued by dust and wind and didn't get any good shots of us. I was t-i-r-e-d at the finish and Gracie practically dragged me across the finish line. Love that dog, and appreciate Robin for making the effort to come out and support me.
- strategy: start easy finish strong. I really started slow and easy this race, got into my groove around mile 4, then felt steady and strong until the last 5K, when I ran out of gas. Overall, a slower finish than The Maze, but my post-race recovery was easier.
- mental challenge: at the end of each loop, we crossed the parking area (where we could see the finish area about 100 yards away) and headed back into the trees to do a twisty but flat half mile or so until we popped back out near the finish. I was not expecting that little add-on after the first loop, and it didn't get any easier for loops 2 & 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment