Breakfast/brunch is one of my favorite meals. I've had some giant honeycrisp apples in the fridge waiting for me to have the motivation to create something worthy of their greatness, and today was the day.
I sauteed the apples in butter and grade B maple syrup, with a bit of lime juice, dash of salt, and dash of cinnamon.
After I put the apples on, some raw walnuts went into the toaster oven for toasting.
Pancakes followed the Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake mix recipe for one batch, using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and 1T ground flaxseed/3T water egg substitute. I had one egg left from the New Mexico farmstand, and wanted to eat it on its own, so fried it in the pancake pan as the last two pancakes finished side two of cooking.
This was one of the best breakfasts I've made for myself in awhile, worthy of my birthday weekend. Unfortunately, the camera battery was dead, and I wasn't about to wait for it to charge before I ate. There are leftover pancakes, and one more apple I can fry up, so perhaps I can get a photo then. In the meantime, the house smells like apple pie.
Forgot to mention how everything ended up on the plate: bottom layer of two pancakes (side by side), then most of the apples and toasted walnuts. One more pancake, the last of the apples, and more walnuts to top it off. Egg on the side. All the running makes me hungry!
21 November 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment