Been having food and mild depression issues lately, plus, I've been wanting to fast, but the physicality of my job this year has precluded it. However, with only 44 hours left to work over two weeks (read: 4 and 5 day weekends), I decided rather spontaneously that this weekend would be a good opportunity to try an extended fast. By extended, I mean greater than 24 hours. I've done "liquid fasts" before. Actually, quite some time ago, when I thought a Dr. Pepper a day was a reasonable source of nutrition while fasting. How things change. I've never fasted for more than 24 hours, and I'm not committing to more than 72 for this one. It'll be interesting to see how things go after the first day. I completed my last meal around 1:30pm today, and have had nothing but water since. My blood sugar dropped around 3pm, but stabilized by 4pm. Part of my goal is to see if this helps clear my symptoms of depression. Therapy has been pretty productive for me lately, and this feels like a positive step in getting more clarity and awareness. The other goal is to examine and recalibrate my relationship with food. Since my big race in May, I've continued to eat like I'm training, but I've cut back my athletic activity considerably. I have a theory that my eating habits are contributing to my depression. We'll see what the next few days hold.
Tomorrow's schedule includes at least one yoga class, literal and figurative housecleaning, a second opinion on my car (which I learned today is living on borrowed time), getting the motorcycle running again, some cooking, a nap, and lots of water.