Tri and Tri Again
My previous post didn't really register the depth of disappointment I felt at the cancellation of the CapTexTri. But, to paraphrase Yoda, (I think, I haven't seen any of the Star Wars films in their entirety, but someone from TNT shared this quote with me) "There is no try, only do." So, earlier this month, my mother & I completed the Danskin Triathlon as a relay team. A bunch of the other TNT women raced, and a bunch of people from the team came out to cheer everyone on. It was a blast, and really helped me move forward after CapTex. I had a great opportunity to experience open water swimming at a whole new comfort and confidence level, and push myself on the bike. The 5k was my mom's leg of the race, and as I had promised, I walked every step with her. I had a lot of fun, and she did, too. We got to cheer a few of the TNT women who passed us along the way, got sprayed with icy cold water (quite the chilly surprise) from giant water guns at one of the water stops, and stopped to wait while one of the event photographers reloaded his camera so he could get pictures of us. It was so awesome to see our TNT teammates at the finish line and for mom & I to get high-fives from all of them. Her first words after crossing the finish were, "When is the next one?" I don't know if she remembers that, though!
I've got two more tris on the schedule for next month. I'm most anxious about the Disco, because it is a mile swim, sans wetsuit. I liken my wetsuit to Dumbo's red feather. It's not what enables me to swim, but wearing it sure helps me feel more confident. Everyone keeps telling me I can do this swim, but I have to learn to believe it. And I've got about a week to make it happen.
Here's a happy finish line photo: